Company: Stanford Health Care
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: June 24, 2022
If you're ready to be part of our legacy of hope and innovation,
we encourage you to take the first step and explore our current job
openings. Your best is waiting to be discovered.
Rotating - 12 Hour (United States of America)
This is a Stanford Health Care job.
A Brief Overview
Under the direction and supervision of the Patient Care Manager (or
designee) the Unit Secretary (US) functions as a member of the
patient care team by providing clerical support. The US duties
include, but are not limited to, performing assigned receptionist,
clerical, environmental, unit maintenance duties and other duties
deemed to assist in the provision of non-clinical care on the
Stanford Health Care
What you will do
* Assists with discharge processes by organizing documents per unit
* By documenting patient admissions, discharges, transfers, and off
unit procedures, contributes to the smooth and effective workflow
systems in the unit. Is able to organize and prioritize tasks.
* Communicates frequently with the care team (e.g., notifying RNs
of electronic STAT patient care orders (LPCH), documenting patient
admissions, discharges (LPCH), transfers, and off unit procedures.)
Monitors PAL for patients in the unit. Informs the RN of any late
tasks or new STAT orders (LPCH).
* Maintains a clean orderly and safe environment. Orders and
maintains equipment and supplies for the desk area and unit,
maintains a clean, child proof work area.
* Maintains and manages medical record according to hospital policy
while observing patient confidentiality. Processes any forms ,
records per procedures, ensures proper patient identification of
all paperwork, has chart available as needed, thins chart and
ensures chart is sent to Medical Records.
* May coordinate lab labels organized by patient and maintains the
blood board through communication with nursing and phlebotomy.
* May coordinate the transport of the patient to off unit-procedure
after consultation with the RN. Arranges transport of the patient
to the off unit. Coordinates appointment times for patient.
* May print diet and allergy report every 8 hours and inform RN or
charge nurse if diet or allergy information is missing.
* Performs receptionist duties for the unit, including greeting
individuals and handling incoming and outgoing telephone calls,
utilizing knowledge of the unit.
* Performs related clerical duties required to maintain
departmental operations (e.g., filing, photocopying, typing,
faxing, assigned errands).
* Practices cost containment in all aspects of job. Utilizes
resources efficiently, monitors charges for supplies, and
recommends changes to existing procedures to improve cost
effectiveness as appropriate.
* Prioritizes effectively and seeks additional duties when
assignments completed, follows staffing and scheduling guidelines,
arrives to work on time, complies with dress code standards,
assists with orienting new staff and completes any mandatory
* Responds appropriately in actual or potential emergency events.
Notifies appropriate personnel, communicates with other personnel
to ensure delivery of immediate care needs and intervenes as
necessary with families and staff by working with appropriate
interdisciplinary team members.
* Responds to customer /staff needs in a prompt attentive manner.
Handles patient call lights and messages appropriately, notifies
Resource Nurse and others of patient flow (admissions, transfers,
* Triages all broken and/or soiled equipment to the appropriate
department. Assists with keeping the computers clean and plugged
* Uses the computerized electronic health record and follows policy
on Computers On Wheels (COW) maintenance in accordance with job
requirements and hospital policies and procedures.
* High School Diploma or GED equivalent
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Ability to communicate in a compassionate manner, remaining
patient and courteous and utilizing active listening skills
* Ability to demonstrate customer service skills in interactions
with all patients, families and staff, including high volume and
* Ability to do arithmetic effectively at a level appropriate for
* Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
* Ability to prioritize tasks
* Ability to read, speak, write, and understand English effectively
at a level appropriate for the job
* Knowledge of computer systems and software used in functional
* Knowledge of office practices, procedures, and equipment; filing
and recordkeeping methods and systems; hospital routines and
procedures; medical terminology
Licenses and Certifications
These principles apply to ALL employees:
SHC Commitment to Providing an Exceptional Patient & Family
Stanford Health Care sets a high standard for delivering value and
an exceptional experience for our patients and families. Candidates
for employment and existing employees must adopt and execute
C-I-CARE standards for all of patients, families and towards each
other. C-I-CARE is the foundation of Stanford's patient-experience
and represents a framework for patient-centered interactions.
Simply put, we do what it takes to enable and empower patients and
families to focus on health, healing and recovery.
You will do this by executing against our three experience pillars,
from the patient and family's perspective:
* Know Me: Anticipate my needs and status to deliver effective
* Show Me the Way: Guide and prompt my actions to arrive at better
outcomes and better health
* Coordinate for Me: Own the complexity of my care through
Equal Opportunity Employer Stanford Health Care (SHC) strongly
values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity and
non-discrimination in all of its policies and practices, including
the area of employment. Accordingly, SHC does not discriminate
against any person on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual
orientation or gender identity and/or expression, religion, age,
national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, marital status,
medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or
disability, or the perception of any of the above. People of all
genders, members of all racial and ethnic groups, people with
disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Qualified
applicants with criminal convictions will be considered after an
individualized assessment of the conviction and the job
Keywords: Stanford Health Care, Palo Alto , Unit Secretary, Administration, Clerical , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!