Principal Electrical Engineer
Company: Varian Medical Systems
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: February 25, 2021
At Varian, we bring together the worlds' best talent to realize
our vision of a world without fear of cancer. Together, we work
passionately to develop and deliver easy-to-use, efficient oncology
solutions. If you want to be part of this important mission, we
want to hear from you. The Company Varian Medical Systems' vision
is a world without fear of cancer. To meet this challenge, we equip
the world with--new tools to fight cancer. With FY2019 revenues of
over $3.0B, Varian Medical Systems develops, manufactures, and
services hardware and software products for the treatment of cancer
with radiation therapy, proton therapy, brachytherapy, microwave
and cryo-ablation and embolic beads. Established in 1948, and
headquartered in Palo Alto, Varian continues to grow, with a staff
of 8000+ employees globally. Varian is committed to driving
innovation via treatment planning, guidance, and post-treatment
verification with best-in-class systems to deliver the solutions to
drive adoption of these therapies. The Team In 2019, Varian created
the Interventional Solutions (IS) segment. This exciting new team
based in Minneapolis, MN will deliver new ground up designed
systems for minimally invasive, local regional therapy with focus
on Oncology. We acquired four companies to enter this market. We
are in the process of building out this talented team and exciting
new product portfolio to drive to a market leadership position.--
The Culture At Varian, our culture is centered on fostering the
creative potential of every employee through teamwork and
collaboration. When you join Varian, you will experience the full
support of an organization and leadership committed to inspiring
you to do your best work. Our technologies touch millions of lives
every day, and this inspires us to do our best work - every day. By
using your talent, ambition and creativity, you can build a career
that allows you to make a real difference in people's lives. You're
just one click away from the most impactful work you'll ever do.
Apply now and join our mission to help save lives. Someone,
somewhere, will be glad you did. About This Exciting Fast Paced
Role The Principal Electrical Engineer will be a key technical
resource. This individual will support all phases of new platform
development ranging from concept and technology development through
commercialization and post-market support. The Principal Electrical
Engineer will be responsible for helping the team architect,
design, select and evaluate critical system components, prototype,
test and release to production electronics for Microwave needles
and consoles. In additional to electronic circuit board design
using embedded processors, RF communications, display technologies,
pump and motor technologies this individual may develop test
techniques to test amplifiers, antennas, high frequency
interconnects etc. Additionally, the Principal Electrical Engineer
will collaborate with other engineers in creating and improving
designs based on test results and optimize performance.
- Architect, design, develop, test and modify electromechanical
systems and disposables, including prototypes, production tools,
and test fixtures for class 2 medical devices.
- Research product development solutions and provide analysis for
- Consult and solicit feedback from internal stakeholders to
identify customer needs and translate these requirements into
- Specific tasks to include electronic architecture design, block
diagram creation, component and processing platform selection,
schematic entry, layout support/oversight, prototype build
oversight, prototype testing, transfer to production support.
- Optimize RF design and work collaboratively with other design
engineers to optimize design based on test results.
- Work with external vendors and partners in the RF field to
speed up product development and testing
- Develop necessary fixtures and use off the shelf equipment to
create test environments for evaluating RF performance of a new
Microwave ablation system. This may include testing in RF phantoms,
ex-vivo tissue testing, in-vivo testing, SAR field mapping
- Create related documentation and support materials in
conjunction with design and development activities.
- Ensure that all interactions and engagements are carried out
with the highest ethical and professional standards and that all
work is accomplished with quality and in accordance with Varian
- Be a hands-on technical resource for mechanical, electrical and
software engineering teams by contributing to design ideas, problem
solving and leading by example
- Exemplify Varian Cultural Beliefs
- Perform other related duties as assigned Minimum Required
Skills and Knowledge
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in Electrical or related engineering
- 8+ years' experience in electronics design for new product
- Technical competencies: Experience developing software driven
electromechanical medical devices. Broad engineering expertise
across all engineering disciplines and having previous experience
with Microwave or RF ablation devices is a strong plus.
- Experience with electrical engineering design process & tools:
schematic capture, PCB layout, circuit simulation, component
selection, patient/user safety, power distribution architecture and
- Experience with various wireless communications technologies
such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, RFID.
- Expert at using spectrum analyzer, high frequency scopes and
other RF test instrumentation.
- Hands-on prototyping and troubleshooting experience.
- Experience working in an ISO 13845 quality management system
desired, not required.
- Highly self-motivated and directed with keen attention to
- Ability to adapt and learn new technologies
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to manage and prioritize workload, multi-task and
manage a diverse mix of issues, responsibilities and
- Self-starter with a hands on, pragmatic approach and a "can do"
- Ability to create clear product design documentation such as
concept diagrams, specifications, requirements, test plans, V&V
- Experience working in a team-distributed, collaborative
- Extensive hands-on experience with building, testing and
debugging prototype devices.
- Experience transferring new product designs into
- Highly self-motivated with keen attention to detail.--
- Ability to adapt and learn new technologies with proven
analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion by
effectively prioritizing, planning, tracking and executing team
activities in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to manage and prioritize workload, multi-task and
manage a diverse mix of issues, responsibilities and challenges
#LI-PT2 Fighting cancer calls for big ideas. We envision a world
without fear of cancer. Achieving this vision takes dedication and
commitment from all of us, every single day. That's why we
celebrate and value the distinctly beautiful and intersectional
identities of each of our employees. We are a mirror of our
patient-base, which allows us to innovate. Big ideas come from
everywhere, and the best ideas are fostered by our unique
individual experiences. At Varian, we encourage you to bring your
whole self to work and believe your bold and authentic perspective
will help to power more victories over cancer. Imagine a world
without fear of cancer.--We do, every day. Varian Medical Systems
is the world's leading manufacturer of--medical devices and
software for treating--and managing cancer. For more than
70--years, we have developed, built, and delivered--innovative
cancer care technologies and--solutions for our clinical partners
around the--globe to help them treat millions of patients--each
year.-- Taking an Intelligent Cancer Care--approach, we are
harnessing advanced technologies like artificial intelligence,
machine--learning, and data analytics to advance--cancer treatment
and expand access to--care to help patients become survivors. When
you join Varian, you become part of--a global network of innovative
and--inspired minds working together across--the globe. We keep the
patient--and our clinical partners at the center of--our thinking
as we power new victories in--cancer care. Because for cancer
patients everywhere, their fight is our fight.
Keywords: Varian Medical Systems, Palo Alto , Principal Electrical Engineer, Engineering , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!