Staff Manufacturing Engineer - Joining Application Development
Company: Rivian Automotive
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: January 8, 2022
- Be responsible for setting up a lab for welding/joining
application development to meet the needs of current and future
projects, including fusion welding, mechanical joining, high energy
density welding, solid-station joining, bolting, adhesive joining,
- Be responsible for defining and executing test programming to
establish welding configurations for given welding process and
materials in development, prototyping, production phase.
- Be responsible for assisting manufacturing in identifying and
developing welding processes.
- Develop new joining methods in conjunction with product
engineers, materials engineers, and equipment vendors.
- Support production operations engineers for successful and
longer term production.
- Perform studies for continues joining process optimization for
current and future model production.
- Participate and be responsible for weld components and systems
- Participate and be responsible for the joining related DFM to
reduce cost and improve quality and reliability.
- Assist and develop PM procedures, weld training program and
champion the training practices.
- Be part of a world-class engineering team, with a focus on high
quality work and rapid project deployment.
- Challenge assumptions that are not backed up by a thorough
engineering evaluation. Qualifications: -
- PhD or advanced degree in welding engineering or material
- 9+ years of experience in welding/joining related
manufacturing, engineering, or research & development role.
- Deep understanding of joinability of steel, aluminum, and other
advanced light weight material.
- Extensive experience with at least two of the following welding
and joining processes and corresponding equipment: self-pierce
riveting, auto bolting, flow drill screw, clinching, spot welding,
GMAW welding, projection welding, laser welding/brazing, friction
stir welding, and hybrid join/bonding.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience with joining method selection based on
structural requirements, manufacturability, and cost.
- Experience in DOE and validation procedure to create process
specifications to ensure production processes meet engineering
design intent, production issue trouble shooting and failure
- Experienced in working within CAD design, GD&T, and PLM
- Knowledgeable in high and low volume manufacturing skills
(Cycle time, quality control, efficiency, equipment selection,
return on investment, etc.).
- Demonstrate ability to solve complex technical problems and see
the solution implemented to a high level of accuracy &
- Ability to follow general guidance on deliverables and
self-guided to develop a path to completion.
- Capable of working as a member of a team across several cross
functional disciplines, including vendors.
Keywords: Rivian Automotive, Palo Alto , Staff Manufacturing Engineer - Joining Application Development, Engineering , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!