Staff Automation Controls Engineer - Integration
Company: Rivian Automotive
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: January 8, 2022
Rivian -is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever.
This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we
build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract. - As a
company, we constantly challenge what's possible, never simply
accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek
new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown.
Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the
outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations. - We
operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern
California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo
Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as
a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois. Role
- Assist with RFQ preparation and review vendor proposals for
automation equipment ranging in size from single work cells to
- Enforce application of and guide vendors through proper
implementation of Rivian standards (including but not limited to
hardware, electrical, safety, pneumatic, network, PLC, HMI, Robot,
SCADA, and MES).
- Manage vendors through initial specification, development,
design reviews, virtual commissioning, installation, buy-offs, and
start of production.
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution at vendor
sites and at Rivian's factory in Normal, IL for various buy-offs
including virtual commissioning, safety, FAT, and SAT.
- Participate in development of controls standards and
specifications by feeding back lessons-learned and gaps from each
project to ensure that future projects will run smoother.
- Review and approve electrical schematics for automation
equipment using 480/240/120VAC and 24VDC circuits.
- Review and approve pneumatic hardware selection and circuits
are appropriate for the use case.
- Review and approve network topologies and IP address
allocation, optimizing the equipment for remote accessibility,
diagnostics, backups, data collection, and cybersecurity.
- Write, review, and approve PLC logic using Ladder and/or
Structured Text with an emphasis on code that is organized,
structured, documented, maintainable and reusable.
- Create, review, and approve user HMI and SCADA screens that are
user-friendly, intuitive and suitable for operating and
- Implement MES logic for production and performance management
into the PLCs and HMIs. --- Guide, review, and approve vendors
through proper implementation of (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant)
control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries,
conveyors, and other high volume manufacturing equipment.
- Debug and optimize automated processes to minimize cycle time,
maximize availability and improve yield. --- Support vendors all
the way through installation and commissioning to start of
production and initial ramp.
- Train Maintenance and Production teams who will support the
equipment after deployment into production. Qualifications
- Familiarity with common controls hardware components used in
high volume manufacturing.
- In depth knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National
Electric code, UL508A).
- Prior experience developing electrical schematics using ePLAN,
AutoCAD Electrical, or similar.
- In depth knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06,
- Advanced proficiency programming industrial equipment using IEC
- Experience programming Allen-Bradley Rockwell, Siemens, or
- Experience programming HMIs for fully and semi-automated
equipment using FactoryTalk View, WinCC, Ignition, TwinCAT HMI, or
- Experience programming and interfacing PLCs with industrial
6-axis robots such as Fanuc, Kawasaki, ABB, etc.
- Experience designing and troubleshooting common fieldbus
networks such Ethernet/IP, Profinet, and EtherCAT.
- Knowledge of communications between machine PLCs and database
- BS/MS Electrical Engineering (or equivalent - Majors in:
Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering,
Automation Engineering, etc.) or Applicable work experience Travel
Requirements: This position will require up to 25% travel - Rivian
is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable
federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry,
sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender
identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or
mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age,
military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other
characteristic protected by law. Rivian is committed to ensuring
that our hiring process is accessible for persons with
disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those
covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires
accommodations to assist you in the search and application process,
please email us at -firstname.lastname@example.org .
Keywords: Rivian Automotive, Palo Alto , Staff Automation Controls Engineer - Integration, Engineering , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!