Senior Controls Engineer - Cell Electrode
Company: Rivian Automotive
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: January 8, 2022
- Join a team developing next generation battery cells for
- Work with multiple teams, including fellow cell engineers &
automation control engineers to get inspired and develop the next
generation of cell technology, manufacturing equipment, processes
and cell factories.
- Be at the forefront of innovation and technology in automation
- Help build a world-class automation platform that minimizes
development time, reduces commissioning time, and eliminates
unplanned downtime for Rivian's slurry, liquid, and powder Mixing
and Feeding Systems. Be proud of your automated systems that will
change the environment in our world for the better.
- Make decisions for fast iterations and mass production
- Develop manufacturing strategies for Mass Production, Pilot,
and even R&D scale equipment with several order of magnitudes
improvement over the status quo.
- Utilize your understanding of automation, equipment, sensors,
valves, utilities, and manufacturing to string together highly
efficient and robust mixing systems.
- Combine innovative controls, mechanical, and process PID
techniques to establish novel approaches to improve mixing
efficiency and material charge/discharge times while maintaining
product quality. Write, test, and launch custom code to accomplish
- Help architecting, writing, and debugging PLCs -using Ladder
-Logic -and/or Structured Text -with an emphasis on generating code
that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable, -and
- Develop -HMI and SCADA screens -that are -user-friendly,
-intuitive -and suitable for operating and troubleshooting
- Design interfaces that streamline the interface -between the
manufacturing equipment and supervisory level systems such as the
factory -Manufacturing Execution System (MES). -By validating -all
of -these internally developed standards and tools on
production-representative lab equipment and virtual simulations you
will have the ability to establish and maintain high quality and
robust behavior throughout all implementations. -
- Develop standards, specifications, and procedures that are
critical both for internally designed processes and for vendors
designing manufacturing equipment for Rivian.
- Writing and owning the electrical standards, specifications,
and procedures covering topics including but not limited to
hardware, sizing, connections, naming, installation,
- Collaborating both internally to Rivian and providing guidance
externally to vendors to follow Rivian's standards is a crucial
aspect of this role.
- Well-document all aspects of highly automated,
production-worthy mixing systems and make the operations completely
- Solve technically complex problems using fundamental, data
- Ensure equipment and process compliance with applicable
standards, policies, acts, regulations and codes.
- Be part of the solution to the exponential scalability
challenges associated with cell manufacturing and help keep Rivian
adventurous forever! this is what you'll need:
- BS/MS Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Computer Science
Engineering, or equivalent.
- 3+ Years of relevant experience in the field of electrical
design for industrial automation.
- Experience in setting up and running Mixing and chemical Raw
Material feeding automation. Familiar with batch mixers, continuous
mixers, spray dryers, reactors, feeding systems, chemical systems,
etc. The more, the better.
- Experience with material transfer systems (e.g. pneumatic
conveyance, physical conveyors, etc.)
- Experience -managing -teams, projects or programs of controls
standards creation, -development and/or -design.
- Experience -developing -company standards -and -reusable -code
-for -programming -Siemens, Beckhoff, or similar -PLCs. -
- Experience designing and developing drive panels, sizing drive
loads and motors, PID tuning. Have proficiency programming and
tuning variable frequency drives.
- Developing, implementing, and tuning complex PID control loops
(e.g. analog valves, pneumatics, motors)
- Knowledge of electrical standards surrounding Hazardous Area
Classified and/or Explosion Proof areas. Understands associated
- Have understood, created, and/or critically reviewed
- Development of Ignition: window templates, Python scripting,
data input and analytics. Data collection via OPC-UA and ability to
write scripts for collection systems.
- Experience developing with ePlan EEC, EEC1, Cogineer or API,
WSCAD Project Wizard or AI module, AutoCAD VBA.
- Have analyzed power distribution impact on electrical
- Experience with semi-automatic stations, safety, data
traceability, data recovery handling. Process development with
semi-auto and automatic sequences.
- Familiarity with common controls hardware components used in
high volume manufacturing.
- Understands and helped develop Hazop risk
assessments/solutions, has good understanding of pneumatics,
understand risks and calculations to aid component selection.
Experience designing and programming safety critical systems.
Knowledgeable in safety hardware selection as well as Fail-Safe
design and component selection
- Have scaled various analog sensors
- Hands-on experience integrating high volume manufacturing
- Knowledge of -communications between machine PLCs and database
systems -such as MS SQL or MySQL. -
- Experience interfacing manufacturing equipment with
Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES). -
- Understanding of -programming -languages such as Python, C++,
- Experience creating electrical schematics for a variety of
- In-depth knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06,
- Experience with system level integration and handshakes
- Instrumentation & controls experience helping to develop
P&IDs and selecting instruments (e.g. valves, temperature
transmitters, pressure transmitters, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National
Electric Code, UL508A).
- Understanding of common fieldbus communication protocols such
as Ethernet/IP, EtherCAT, or Profinet.
- Have extensive experience and resume automating mixing and/or
chemical systems on a Mass Production scale.
- Highly data driven; familiar with statistical software and
approaches to provide data to make informed decisions. Familiar
with statistical-based factorial Design of Experiments (DOE) and
chemical/mechanical analytical analysis equipment
- Has knowledge of highly accurate powder conveyance (e.g. screw
feeders, air locks, pneumatic feeders, storage hoppers, filter
receivers, dust collectors), liquid and slurry conveyance (e.g.
various pumps, flowmeters, cooling/heating control loops,
- Deep experience: Proven ability to scale equipment/processes
from lab to high volume - and safely!
- Curiosity: Get excited about coming up with new ideas about
processes, equipment, and sensors, and ask the questions to make
them better! Not afraid to tinker with the interesting and
fundamentally sound ideas.
- Highly data driven: Scaling and using inline sensor output data
to make informed decisions on automation feedback loops.
- Critical problem-solving skills: No fear to ask the right
people, the right questions at the right time in the right way.
Learn all that is needed to get to the bottom of our current
bottlenecks to redefined manufacturing.
- Detail oriented: Desire to become an expert in automated
controls for Mixing, Solids and Bulk Handling, Liquid Transfer, and
Slurry Transfer. Know them like the back of your hand.
- Execution: Drive open actions to closure - dot all the 'I's and
cross all the 'T's. Make sure the lessons and outcomes are
communicated to the crossfunctional teams. Ensure alignment is
- Play nice crossfunctionally: Your stakeholders include
manufacturing equipment, process, product design, EHS, quality,
construction, production/sustaining, supply chain, external
- Thrive under pressure: Manage competing demands and tight
deadlines of multiple simultaneous projects and challenges. Ability
to follow through and make significant progress in a fast pace,
demanding, dynamic environment
- Strong problem-solver: Have skills and aptitude for learning
systems quickly THESE ARE NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience with mix recipe management
- Familiarity with installation and wiring practices
- Experience with PLC, HMI development
- Experience with Safety PLCs
- Experience with pneumatic systems design
- Some familiarity with facilities requirements, such as power,
air, water, specialty gasses (N2, Ar)
- Experience with communicating engineering requirements and
managing design sources This is where you'll work: Department: Cell
Engineering Rivian -is on a mission to keep the world adventurous
forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure
Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to
attract. - As a company, we constantly challenge what's possible,
never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old
problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that
are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a
love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future
generations. - We operate development centers in Plymouth,
Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley
(San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey,
England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois. -
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits
Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to
the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and
to providing employees with a work environment free of
discrimination and harassment. -All employment decisions at Rivian
are based on business needs, job requirements and individual
qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief,
family or parental status, or any other status protected by the
laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will
not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these
characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
Keywords: Rivian Automotive, Palo Alto , Senior Controls Engineer - Cell Electrode, Engineering , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!