Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: November 21, 2022
We saw a problem within the life insurance industry: getting
covered took too long, involved too much paperwork, and required
too many in-person meetings with salesy agents. Having lost his
father at a young age, our CEO, Jamie, was determined to make it
easier for people to get the coverage they needed to provide for
their families. So, we got to work. We developed a method of
real-time underwriting and, in doing so, reduced the months-long
process of applying for life insurance to minutes. Our digital
experience is quick (instant decisions!), loved by users (check out
our Trustpilot or Google reviews) and prolific ($34 billion+ in
About the role
The Ladder engineering team is looking for an engineering manager
to come and join us to reimagine what life insurance can be. You
will be responsible for leading a team of engineers working on
full-stack features that directly impact the business by
collaborating closely with other managers, designers, and product
If you're interested in doing mission-driven work with smart,
caring people, we'd love to hear from you.
How you'll make a difference
- Lead a growing team of 4-6 engineers with 1-2 main ownership
- Be responsible for continuously improving the productivity of
- Remove roadblocks for your team and escalate when you need
additional context or direction
- Promote a culture of feedback and transparent
- Establish measurable goals for your team's productivity and
- Mentor and lead other engineers
- Coordinate with other engineering managers and directors across
the engineering org to help to drive standardization, establish
best practices, simplify the architecture, remove barriers to
shipping, and ultimately achieve your goals
Who You Are
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in software
- 2+ years of people management experience
- Focused on end-user and creating customer-centric
- Demonstrated ability to build a team, develop people, and
influence cross-functional teams and senior management
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science preferred; Master's
- Startup experience, or fintech/insurtech experience a
- High level of proficiency in algorithms, data structures, and
Our engineering culture & values
- Bottom-up leadership: teams are most successful when everybody
shares their ideas, comfortable that they'll be seriously
considered. engineers can and should provide product & business
- Ship fast without breaking things: we've invested heavily in
engineering tooling that provides guardrails without getting in
your way. We believe in shipping MVPs & iterating quickly rather
than waiting for perfection to ship.
- Invest in automation: automating repetitive tasks saves time
and reduces errors. We're always on the lookout for manual
workflows to automate away.
- Continuous improvement: we learn from our past wins & losses by
conducting blameless retros.
Check out our profile here
- While it's great if you're already familiar with some of these,
we strongly believe that general technical proficiency is more
important than knowledge of specific technologies. If the role
sounds interesting, please apply even if you don't know any of
- Frontend: Clojurescript, React, GraphQL
- Backend: Clojure, JVM
- Infrastructure: Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Packer, Terraform,
- Data: BigQuery, Tableau, BEAM
What we offer
Whether you work in our beautiful office in Palo Alto or remotely,
Ladder is highly collaborative and fun. To support you in your
role, we offer fantastic perks and benefits that reflect our
mission of care and support, including:
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage - We offer
competitive healthcare,dental and vision plans for you and your
- Flexible paid time off - Take the time that you need to rest
and recharge, including our week-long winter holiWhat we
- day closure.
- Stock options - We offer competitive stock option packages to
participate in the success of building Ladder, including an
extended option exercise window of 7 years after two years with
- A rewarding 401k match program - We'll match up to 4% of your
contributions as you save for your retirement goals.
- Ladder Fit Program - Your health matters. That's why Ladder
provides reimbursement of up to $50 a month for wellness-related
- Commuter benefits - When you work from the office, you will
- benefits for your commute and free parking.
- A stocked, beautiful new office - Located in downtown Palo
Alto, our office was specifically designed to accommodate all
working styles. We've invested in technology to support our hybrid
team, plus we provide office snacks and daily catered lunches so
that team members can work well and have fun together.
- Paid parental leave -We think it's crucial that new parents
have time to adjust to their new lives without worrying about work,
so we provide all parents inclusive of birthing, adoption, or
fostering ten weeks of paid baby bonding.
- Work-from-home flexibility and support - We recognize that
everyone's homelife is different and support remote and hybrid
work. Upon joining, we provide a one-time $500 remote office
stipend for all team members and then a monthly $150 stipend to
cover WFH costs such as the internet.
- Fun company-wide events - Whether we work locally or remotely,
we genuinely enjoy spending time together. That's why we plan fun
virtual and in-person events to let loose and laugh.
Ladder is building a diverse team of talented and enthusiastic
people. We are an equal opportunity workplace. At Ladder,
differences are celebrated and supported to benefit our people,
product, and community. Let us know why you're interested in this
position and what unique contributions you can make to the Ladder
team. We look forward to hearing from you.
Keywords: Ladder, Palo Alto , Engineering Manager, Engineering , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!