Director, Cloud Core Platform
Company: Sleep Number
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: May 6, 2021
The Cloud Core Platform Engineering team is looking for a
Director of Core Cloud Platform (Application and Services). You
will be responsible for shaping, shipping, and supporting the
future architecture and health and wellness features necessary to
ensure SN LABS product platform is a world class platform that
supports the business and product objectives of the company. At the
same time, you will also be responsible for maturing our existing
IoT infrastructure to support customer managed releases. The
candidate would have demonstrated strong technical and
organizational skills in a mid to large organization in the past.
Someone who is passionate about leading teams of engineers and
attracting top talent. They should have the ability to influence
decision making processes, without having direct authority on
resources and processes. They should have a strong background in
Release Management practices specially for SaaS based applications.
- Mentor and develop engineers to build a strong engineering
- Promote a culture of innovation, pride, performance, and
- Build, architect and execute on the software development
strategy to develop, enhance and support features and functionality
for the Cloud Core platform (Application and Services).
- Strong execution focus and ability to lead multiple distributed
engineering teams and drive a results-oriented culture in a
- Clearly communicate goals and desired outcomes to project
- Recognize process and product gaps early and be able to lead
changes to achieve better outcomes.
- Ensure engineers are following best practices around coding,
testing, automated builds, etc. with acceptable code coverage for
- Own the development lifecycle and is responsible for managing
technical risks throughout the project.
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of the
leadership team through direct involvement in formation and
evolution of the technical strategy.
- Work closely with product, engineering, QA, DevOps,security and
support teams to define and refine our cloud platform to achieve
- Work diligently with other engineering teams to ratify release
processes necessary to meet business goals.
- Help recruit and maintain excellent and diverse engineering
- Continually improve operational processes and procedures
- Further innovation in the organizationPosition Requirements
- Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent
- At least 15+ years of software development experience with at
least 5 years of effective team management.
- Strong hands on experience with distributed system design at
- Strong expertise and experience in JDBC and data-oriented
- Experience in Internet of Things (IoT) architecture is
- Experience in developing distributed cloud applications and
systems using Java and Scala preferably on AWS
- Strong experience with Java, AWS EC2, EMR, RDBMS, Cassandra or
any other NoSQL DB
- In-depth experience in data and application modeling
- Experience in Agile/SCRUM enterprise-scale software
- Design Patterns
- Dependency Injection
- Network concepts (TCP, UDP, Ports, Proxy, Firewalls)
- Junit (or other unit testing framework)
- Application server/container configuration management and
application deployment (Tomcat , Jboss etc)
- Distributed Patterns (Caching, Transactions,Message queues,
- Scaling Application under load (Partitioning, Sharding)
- Persistence with Relational Database (SQL and JDBC) and Non
Relational Database (Redis, Cassandra etc)
- Experience with Build Tools (Jenkins , Dockers ) , version
control (Git) and dependency management (Maven or Gradle)
- Experience with Production and Performance Troubleshooting
Tools (ELK , Splunk, Sumologic , Wireshark, jConsole, HeapAnalyzer,
jMeter, Java profiler (VisualVM, JProfiler, YourKit))
- Seasoned leader with a strong track record of developing and
delivering complex, distributed at scale consumer product software
to create successful business outcome
- A highly driven leader that is known to deliver in high growth
and highly dynamic environments.
- Ability to work with fellow cross functional leaders and other
stakeholders to set vision and define technical roadmaps
- Ability to lead and mentor engineers globally, be a champion
for creative technical trends.
- Acknowledged for driving decisions collaboratively, resolving
conflicts and ensuring follow through.
- An extraordinarily intelligent, rigorous thinker who can
operate successfully among very bright and charismatic people
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly
innovative and fast paced environment
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- Possess strong analytical skills, with excellent
problem-solving abilities in the face of ambiguity
- Good understanding of scalable distributed computing systems,
software architecture, data structures and algorithms using Hadoop,
Apache Spark, Apache Storm, etc.#SIQL
Keywords: Sleep Number, Palo Alto , Director, Cloud Core Platform, Executive , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!