VP, Global Patient Advocacy
Company: Jazz Pharmaceuticals
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc (NASDAQ: JAZZ) is a global
biopharmaceutical company whose purpose is to innovate to transform
the lives of patients and their families. We are dedicated to
developing life-changing medicines for people with serious diseases
- often with limited or no therapeutic options. We have a diverse
portfolio of marketed medicines and novel product candidates, from
early- to late-stage development, in neuroscience and oncology. We
actively explore new options for patients including novel
compounds, small molecules and biologics, and through cannabinoid
science and innovative delivery technologies. Jazz is headquartered
in Dublin, Ireland and has employees around the globe, serving
patients in nearly 75 countries. For more information, please visit
www.jazzpharmaceuticals.com and follow @JazzPharma on Twitter. Vice
President (VP) for Global Patient Advocacy October 2021 Jazz
Pharmaceuticals plc (NASDAQ: JAZZ) is a global biopharmaceutical
company whose purpose is to innovate to transform the lives of
patients and their families. We are focused on developing
life-changing medicines for people with serious diseases - often
with limited or no options - so they can live their lives more
fully. By transforming biopharmaceutical discoveries into novel
medicines, we are working to give people around the world the
opportunity to redefine what's possible - to make the "small wins"
big again. We are a fully integrated, growing biopharmaceutical
company with a diverse portfolio of marketed medicines and novel
product candidates in two key therapeutic areas: neuroscience and
oncology. We are an industry leader in sleep disorders and epilepsy
and are growing our presence in oncology including hematologic
malignancies and solid tumors. Across our commercial franchises and
development programs, we focus on innovative therapies and support
for children and adults living with these conditions. We actively
explore new options for patients including novel compounds, small
molecules and biologics, and through cannabinoid science and
innovative delivery technologies. SUMMARY DESCRIPTION The VP for
Global Patient Advocacy will take on a newly created leadership
role and is responsible for designing and setting up a bold
strategy as well as providing leadership across our company in
support of the Jazz business objectives, commitment to patients and
our purpose - innovate to transform the lives of patients and their
families. The role reports to the Chief Legal Officer and SVP for
Corporate Affairs. He/she is responsible for developing and
implementing the company's overarching global patient advocacy
strategy for Jazz and enabling and embedding that strategy within
the organization. This role will lead a global team supporting our
disease areas and geographies globally, who work across the Jazz
organization and with the patient community, caregivers, patient
advocacy groups, professional organizations, and other partners to
gather insights and advance a shared agenda to improve patient
outcomes and the patient experience. This person will be an
experienced leader on global patient-centric approaches, best
practices, and emerging trends that ensures that the patient voice
is seamlessly incorporated into all key company decisions to
support our drug development and commercialization activities
across our portfolio. This person will leverage his/her leadership
and expertise to work directly with executive management and
advance shared accountability for the patient agenda throughout our
company in a seamless, integrated and strategic fashion. This role
requires building strong relationships, collaborations and
alignment with diverse internal cross functional partnerships
within R&D, Global Medical Affairs, Corporate Communications,
North American and EU/Intl regional business teams, Regulatory,
Global Product Strategy, Corporate Sustainability and Social
Impact, Government Affairs and Public Policy and other key partners
to effectively execute on strategic, evidence-based programs. KEY
- Build, operationalize and integrate a systems-level
patient-centered function within the company.
- Engage with key internal partners and lead the development and
execution of the company's overarching patient strategy including
defining, standardizing, and implementing standard methodologies
for patient engagement, and embedding patient insights across the
continuum of drug discovery and commercialization including as part
- Strategic program planning including development of target
- Patient focused execution of clinical programs, including
protocol and endpoint development, patient enrollment strategy,
development of patient materials, trial result transparency
- Regulatory submissions and health authority engagement
- Market access and reimbursement submissions and ensuring access
to treatment -
- HEOR/RWE and patient reported outcome data generation
- Patient journey mapping for the generation of impactful patient
- Foster culture of decentralized interactions with the patient
community including, key advocacy groups, to ensure enduring
partnerships based on shared objectives to improve patient outcomes
and experiences. Ensure interactions with patient communities are
integrated and seamless across the enterprise while ensuring
differentiated regional and market specific strategies where
- Serve as our company's primary voice and subject matter expert
on patient-centric practices and counsel senior leadership and
cross-functional partners on programs including patient level
evidence generation (e.g. RWE). Update and inform senior leaders
and other cross-functional partners on key industry trends,
therapeutic area landscape and patient priorities to aid strategic
- Elevate best practices for identifying opportunities to build
metric-driven programs that help patients, and their caregivers
navigate their conditions, increase disease awareness, accelerate
time to accurate diagnosis and increase access to therapy.
- Collaborate with the Government Affairs and Public Policy team
to advocate for and educate on key issues impacting patient focused
- Collaborate with Corporate Communications and Corporate
Sustainability and Social Impact functions to ensure Jazz's mission
and values are clearly communicated to advocacy organizations and
the communities they serve.
- Help develop strategic charitable programs and activities that
support patient engagement and disease state education aligned with
assigned therapeutic areas.
- Drive the development and deployment of advocacy campaigns,
such as patient advisory boards, to integrate the patient voice
across the business continuum.
- Work with Compliance and internal partners to develop policies,
position statements, SOPs, etc. on patient engagement as
appropriate and necessary.
- Identify key thought leadership opportunities to represent Jazz
patient advocacy in senior-level governance forums, working groups
and publications. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE Requirements
- BA/BS in health, life sciences, or business, advanced degree
preferred; experience in lieu of education accepted.
- 12+ year of related pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or
health-care related industry experience.
- 5+ years of related experience in patient advocacy and alliance
development (may include relevant Patient Organization
- Expertise in national quality of care guidelines and government
programs impacting patients such as, Medicare/Medicaid policy and
Part D benefit design is a plus.
- Understanding of the complexities associated with the changing
health care environment (i.e., ACA, quality, care pathways and
clinical guidelines, patient focused drug development) is
- Background and understanding of public payor policy.
- Global experience preferred with an ability to work globally
whilst ensuring tailored regional and local execution.
- Some travel may be required. (20%) Leadership Abilities
- Track record of people management and development (5 or more
- Demonstrated success in building cohesive and integrated teams
that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common
- Experience in translating long-term objectives into actionable,
- Experience collaborating with key stakeholders, influencing
decisions, and managing work to achieve strategic goals and shared
- Executive-level business acumen in the areas of business
operations, industry practices and emerging trends.
- Strong organizational and project management skills. Ability to
multi-task, be flexible and quickly pivot in a fast moving/changing
- Strategic, innovative, and independent thinker who is
action-oriented and a driver of change, with strong leadership and
communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to look ahead to future possibilities and translate
them into breakthrough strategies.
- Drive engagement by creating an environment where people are
motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its
- Drive vision and purpose by painting a compelling picture of
the vision and strategy that motivates others to action.
- Embody the Jazz core values and provide leadership in
demonstrating these values through everyday actions and behaviors.
- Ability to analyze issues, identify problem areas and provide
the leadership necessary to effect change.
- Experience operating in complex and/or matrixed cross
- Strong customer focus, building strong customer relationships
and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Ability to make good and timely decisions that keep the
organization moving forward.
- Cultivate innovation by creating new and better ways for the
organization to be successful.
- A strong ethical and compliance mindset given the special
nature of patient engagement with a focus on delivering positive
patient outcomes and experiences.
- Strong and effective communication skills, developing and
delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear
understanding of the unique needs of different audiences. Strong
ability to communicate effectively and get along well with
different personality types across all levels of the Company.
- A "can do"/results orientation, in a collaborative and
- Ensure accountability by holding self and others accountable to
- Instill trust by gaining the confidence and trust of others
through honesty, integrity, and authenticity. Jazz Pharmaceuticals
is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic
protected by law.
Keywords: Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Palo Alto , VP, Global Patient Advocacy, Executive , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!