Embedded Software / Firmware Engineer - Power Conversion Control
Company: Tesla Motors
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: April 9, 2021
The Role As a firmware engineer on the power electronics
controls team, you will be responsible for delivering high quality
embedded code running on the processors at the heart of Tesla
energy storage systems, vehicle, and production lines.You will be
designing, implementing, and performing hands-on testing and system
integration. You will also build out the modeling and software test
infrastructure that model behaviors on the grid system. Come join a
team of dynamic and deeply knowledgeable engineers that strive to
build the most robust and reliable embedded systems that run EV
charging systems and the renewable microgrids that power them. You
will contribute to solving some of the most exciting problems in
the embedded software space and change the way the world produces
electric vehicles and delivers energy. The work is exciting and
fun, pushing the technology envelope in an open, collaborative, and
supportive environment. Help us put that clean energy in our
amazing vehicles, and work with a diverse team around the world
deploying reliable power to all corners of the globe.
- Specify, design, and implement functionality and behaviors of
embedded subsystems to deliver high-quality C code for controls
software and algorithm development
- Design the software architecture and firmware implementation on
hardware through integration, test, and high volume
- Hands-on hardware bring-up, system debugging, code/performance
optimization, create and execute board level test plans to expose
weakness or faults in firmware for the powertrains, vehicle and
energy storage system.
- Development of automated Hardware-In-Loop (HIL) and
Software-In-Loop (SIL) validation platform and infrastructure to
improve the level of automation, efficiency and accuracy of the
powertrains, vehicle and energy storage system validation.
- Implement continuous improvements and best practices within the
team, and larger organization. Requirements
- Experience in embedded development in robotics, real-time
controls, or system software and all levels of experiences are
- Proficiency in C
- Strong software fundamentals including architectural design,
algorithm development, data structures, code modularity, and
- Desired to have test driven development experience using unit
testing, software in the loop, and hardware in the loop
methodologies. Our developers participate significantly in firmware
testing, so a validation mindset is required.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate complex technical
concepts. Preferred Skills
- Knowledge of version control (Git) and continuous
- Understanding of physics, basic principles, and basic control
with previous experience in power conversion field or validating
highly complex and mission critical embedded system is a plus.
- Good understanding with MISRA C/unit test or other code quality
standard a plus.
- Python experience and scripting skills in other common
languages is a plus (Perl, Shell, Bash).
- Knowledge and experience with automation and build tools is a
plus (Jenkins, Docker, SCons). Employee Benefits
- As a full time Tesla employee you will receive full benefits
from day 1 for you and your dependents.
- Kaiser and UnitedHealthcare PPO and HSA plans (including
- 3 medical plan choices with $0 paycheck contribution
- Vision & dental plans (including orthodontic coverage)
- Company paid Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term
- 401(k), Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial
- Employee Assistance Program, Paid Time Off, and Paid
- Back-up childcare and employee discounts
Keywords: Tesla Motors, Palo Alto , Embedded Software / Firmware Engineer - Power Conversion Control, IT / Software / Systems , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!