Principal Data Software Engineer Hot Job - Palo Alto, California - Department Engineering -
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: February 10, 2024
As humans, there are few things more exciting than meeting
someone new. At Tinder, we're on a mission to power and inspire
real connections by making it easy and fun for every new generation
of singles. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of
downloads, 2+ billion swipes per day, 20+ million matches per day,
and a presence in 190+ countries, our reach is expansive-and
rapidly growing. We work together to solve complex problems. Behind
the simplicity of every match, we think deeply about human
relationships, behavioral science, network economics, AI and ML,
online and real-world safety, cultural nuances, loneliness, love,
sex, and more.Our Values:One Team, One DreamWe work hand-in-hand,
building Tinder for our members. We succeed together when we work
collaboratively across functions, teams, and time zones, and think
outside the box to achieve our company vision and mission.Own ItWe
take accountability and strive to make a positive impact in all
aspects of our business, through ownership, innovation, and a
commitment to excellence.We cultivate a culture where it's safe to
take risks. We seek out input, share honest feedback, celebrate our
wins, and learn from our mistakes in order to continue
improving.Spark SolutionsWe're problem solvers, focusing on how to
best move forward when faced with obstacles. We don't dwell on the
past or on the issues at hand, but instead look at how to stay
agile and overcome hurdles to achieve our goals.We are intentional
about building a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our
members. By leveraging different perspectives and other ways of
thinking, we build better experiences for our members and our
team.The Role: The Engineering team is responsible for building
innovative features and resilient systems that bring people
together. We're always experimenting with new features to engage
with our members. Although we are a large-scale tech company, the
member-to-engineer ratio is very high-making the level of impact
each engineer gets to have at Tinder enormous. -
Our growing business always has new needs for actionable
information, and our roadmap has exciting, high-value products
ready to be designed and many more to be identified. This role will
involve working with large-scale data pipelines in near-real-time,
batch, and lambda frameworks.
As a Principal Data Engineer at Tinder, you will take the lead in
designing, building, and optimizing the next generation of our data
platform. This is a high-visibility role and your impact will serve
as the backbone for analytics and data-driven product features,
empowering teams across the organization to make data-informed
decisions. You will be building products that impact a diverse set
of consumers, including but not limited to Machine Learning,
Analytics, Quantitative Tools, and Revenue verticals.
Where you'll work:This is a hybrid role and requires in-office
collaboration three days per week. This position is located in Palo
Alto, CA. We also have offices in Los Angeles and San Francisco. -
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Architect a unified data platform that integrates real-time
stream processing, self-service data lakes, and robust ETL
- Design and implement a scalable data lake, focusing on data
integration and curation.
- Develop and maintain an insights pipeline to support Business
Intelligence (BI) and advanced analytics use cases.
- Implement data governance and security protocols to ensure data
integrity and compliance.
- Strong hands-on experience in designing, developing, and
leading enterprise-level database systems with a focus on high
availability, security, performance, and scalability.
- Deep expertise in Data Warehouse architecture and
- Research, design, and implement fast proof-of-concepts to
evaluate similar products and technologies.
- Participate in the strategic development of methods,
techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects and programs.
- Assess build vs buy decisions at every stage, backed by proof
of concepts, benchmarking, and other evaluation metrics.
- Implement processes and systems to champion data quality,
ensuring production data is always accurate and available for key
stakeholders and business processes.
- Mentor fellow engineers on best practices for designing and
operating reliable systems at scale.
- Design data integrations and data quality frameworks.We are
- A proactive leader with a growth mindset, who will communicate
a clear architectural vision, maintain an efficient shipping pace,
and provide education to our firm on the technology we are
- 12+ years of experience in designing and developing data
architecture and engineering solutions that have supported massive
scale of data volume and computation.
- Significant experience delivering multi-functional initiatives
that directly impact the growth of the business.
- Experience working with backend and data infrastructure in AWS
- A consistent track record of innovative problem-solving and an
inquisitive approach to data engineering challenges.
- Experience with big data technologies like Flink, Spark, and
- Experience in working with database platforms such as
PostgreSQL, MySQL, DynamoDB, and/or Cassandra.
- Strong programming experience in Python / JVM-based languages
(Java / Scala)
- Knowledge of data governance and security measures.As a
full-time employee, you'll enjoy:
- Unlimited PTO (with no waiting period), 10 annual Wellness
- Time off to volunteer and charitable donations matched up to
$15,000 annually -
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental coverage
- 100% 401(k) employer match up to 10%, Employee Stock Purchase
- 100% paid parental leave (including for non-birthing parents)
and family forming benefits
- Investment in your development: mentorship through our
MentorMatch program, access to 6,000+ online courses through Udemy,
and an annual $3,000 stipend for your professional development
- Investment in your wellness: access to mental health support
via Modern Health, paid concierge medical membership, pet
insurance, fitness membership subsidy, and commuter subsidy
- Free subscription to Tinder GoldSalary Range: $255,000 -
$270,000 a year Factors such as scope and responsibilities of the
position, candidate's work experience, education/training,
job-related skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and
business considerations may influence base pay offered. This salary
will be subject to a geographic adjustment (according to a specific
city and state), if an authorization is granted to work outside of
the location listed in this posting. "My favorite part of working
at Tinder is the impact we have on the world. What we do affects
the lives millions of people across the globe and is my little way
to be a part of something bigger than myself." - Kyle Boss , Our
hottest benefits for full time employees100% paid parental leave
(including for non-birthing parents) and family forming
benefitsPlan for the Future100% 401(k) employer match up to 10%,
Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)Personal GrowthMentorship
through our MentorMatch program, access to 6,000+ online courses
through Udemy, and an annual $3,000 stipend for your professional
developmentGive backTime off to volunteer and charitable donations
matched up to $15,000 annuallyInvestment in your wellnessAccess to
mental health support via Modern Health, paid concierge medical
membership, pet insurance, fitness membership subsidy, and commuter
subsidyUnlimited PTOWith no waiting period and 10 annual wellness
Keywords: Lifeattinder, Palo Alto , Principal Data Software Engineer Hot Job - Palo Alto, California - Department Engineering -, IT / Software / Systems , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!