Research Scientist, Bioinformatics
Company: Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: March 26, 2020
WE'RE DRIVING TOWARD THE ULTIMATE VICTORY: A WORLD WITHOUT THE
FEAR OF CANCER.The candidate will lead bioinformatics projects in
areas such as analyzing high-throughput drug screens to identify
novel therapies; analyzing NGS datasets (bulk and single-cell
sequencing) and setting up computational models for predicting
Top priorities and responsibilities:
1. Perform data analysis for ongoing research projects.
2. Design and implement programs and procedures for applying
bioinformatics techniques to solve ongoing research problems.
3. Develop (or procure), implement and maintain bioinformatics
tools to support ongoing research projects.
4. Design and maintain stores of curated data according to the
needs of ongoing research projects.
5. Play a lead role in defining data requirements for new research
6. Actively participate in defining Varian s life sciences research
7. Collaborate with other Varian business units as a subject matter
expert when needed.
8. Conduct all activities and interactions with the highest ethical
and professional standards, ensuring all work is accomplished with
quality and in accordance with Varian values, legal and regulatory
requirements, codes of conduct, and standard operating
- PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, (bio)statistics, or
equivalent experience and training
- 3+ years' experience working with large data sets using
Python/Jupyter or R
- 3+ years' experience driving bioinformatics projects from
conception to execution, ability to come up with analysis plan
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Essential educational qualifications, professional
accreditations, or skills:
- Deep understanding of machine learning and statistics as applied
to biological datasets
- Proficiency with Unix, Git, and other command line tools for
- Ability to set up and run NGS pipelines (for example, experience
working with Fast QC, Skewer/Trimmomatic and BWA mem to process raw
- Ability to analyze NGS data (for example, for RNAseq: HT seq
count, EdgeR/DEseq2; and for DNAseq: Free Bayes, Mutect, Haplotype
- Experience with data mining in drug sensitivity databases such as
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple,
simultaneous projects is highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to consistently meet goals with little
supervision is highly desirable.
We're unleashing the power of technology and human ingenuity to
achieve new victories in the fight against cancer. Join us and have
a global impact.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin,
protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Keywords: Varian Medical Systems, Inc., Palo Alto , Research Scientist, Bioinformatics, Other , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!