Sr. Engineering Manager
Company: VMware, Inc.
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: May 3, 2021
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure
solutions that enable our more than 350,000 enterprise and SMB
customers to thrive in the Cloud Era by simplifying, automating and
transforming the way they build, deliver and consume Information
Technologies. Our team of 30,000+ people working in 50+ locations
worldwide is committed to building a community where great people
want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation,
execution, teamwork, active learning and giving back. If you are
enthusiastic about cloud infrastructure, ready to accelerate,
innovate and lead, join us as we challenge constraints and problem
solve for tomorrow today.
As the leader of this team, you will:
- Contribute to requirements gathering, architecture, design,
implementation and support of enterprise class software that powers
customer data center and cloud based offerings.
- Work with Product management, Senior management on defining
roadmap, planning, execution and escalations.
- Lead engineering execution through all phases of our software
development lifecycle both waterfall and agile.
- Manage customer service requests, escalations and VMware Cloud
(VMC) service ownership responsibilities for the team's functional
- Recruit, evaluate, mentor, grow and organize a team of
engineers to accomplish specific goals in support of business
- Hands on, metric driven and focused on continual
- Manage change effectively, motivating and keeping the team
focused on business objectives.
- Communicate effectively and lead engineering through
interactions with local and global cross-functional teams, such as
other engineering groups, product management, release management,
legal and so on.
- 5+ years' experience leading, managing software development
teams and projects through multiple releases. History of
significant contributions to shipped products in Leadership
- 10+ years of industry experience including with projects in
system software, security, SaaS and automation.
- Good understanding and experience in system software,
distributed systems, security, design, development and
- Experience in security technologies such as encryption,
attestation and hardware TPM, SGX etc. a plus.
- Software development lifecycle experience on projects using
both waterfall and agile methodologies.
- Results driven, ability to discuss, present, document and
provide guidance to a team of highly skilled engineers.
- Strong relationship management & influencing skills
- Excellent presentation, interaction and communication skills
along with the ability to collaborate effectively across functional
- Proven ability to handle multiple, complex technical projects
and have the flexibility to work in a very dynamic environment
- Excellent leadership, people management, communication and
documentation skills. Should be comfortable presenting to
architects, leadership, stake holders, and customers as
- Experience managing other managers is a plus.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science.
- Genuine passion for building great software
- Intellectually curious, good listener
- Self-starter, natural ability to lead and inspire
- Natural tendency to focus on customers
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits
Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to
the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and
to providing employees with a work environment free of
discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware
are based on business needs, job requirements and individual
qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief,
national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age,
physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual
orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil
union or domestic partnership status, past or present military
service, family medical history or genetic information, family or
parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or
regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not
tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these
characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware
will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have
protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Keywords: VMware, Inc., Palo Alto , Sr. Engineering Manager, Other , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!