Amazon Advertising is one of Amazon's fastest growing and most
profitable businesses. Amazon's advertising portfolio helps
merchants, retail vendors, and brand owners succeed via native
advertising, which grows incremental sales of their products sold
through Amazon. The primary goals are to help shoppers discover new
products they love, be the most efficient way for advertisers to
meet their business objectives, and build a sustainable business
that continuously innovates on behalf of customers. Our products
and solutions are strategically important to enable our Retail and
Marketplace businesses to drive long-term growth.
We are seeking an experienced Applied Science Manager to join
the Advertising Forecasting and Pricing team at Palo Alto,
California. This team works on time series forecasting, auction
theory, bid & allocation optimization, for Amazon Advertising
business. Our group consists of talented scientists and engineers
who owns our product end-to-end, from data collection, analysis,
ideation, and prototyping, to development, metrics and monitoring.
Our models and services are integrated directly with Amazon's Ad
eco system, and our forecasts are used to drive key business
decisions at the VP/SVP level. The scientists on the team also
contribute to the larger science communities, publishing papers at
conferences both internally and externally. We are a fast-growing
team in a rapid paced Advertising business, doubling in size every
year for the past five years.
AS an Applied Science Manager, you will:
- Drive, build, and deliver the next generation of
customer-facing machine learning solutions.
- Bring a technical and scientific vision and leadership to
Amazon's Ad Forecasting team and ensure that our product is
unparalleled in terms of quality, capability, innovation, and
- Lead your team to deliver state-of-the-art Machine Learning
(ML) based solutions to improve Amazon's Advertising performance
Impact and Career Growth:
You will invent new shopper and advertiser experiences, and
accelerate the pace of Machine Learning and Optimization.
Influence customer facing shopping experiences to helping
suppliers grow their retail business and the auction dynamics that
leverage native advertising, this role will be powering the engine
of one the fastest growing businesses at Amazon.
Define a long-term science vision for our ad marketplace, driven
fundamentally from the needs of our customers, translating that
direction into specific plans for research and applied scientists,
as well as engineering and product teams.
This is a role that combines science leadership, organizational
ability, technical strength, product focus and business
In the immediate term, this role requires (a) addressing
principles of allocation function and pricing in ad marketplace
auctions, (b) developing efficient algorithms for multi-objective
optimization and AI control methods to find operating points for
the ad marketplace auctions and to evolve them, and (c) develop
science talent around machine learning, Economics and optimization
for WW Advertising.
Why you love this opportunity:
Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class
advertising business and we are responsible for defining and
delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising
products that drive discovery and sales.
Our products are strategically important to our Retail and
Marketplace businesses driving long term growth. We deliver
billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are
breaking fresh ground to create world-class products.
We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an
entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to
experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate
with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
- PhD degree with 4+ years of applied research experience or a
Master's degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research
- 3+ years of experience in building machine learning models for
- Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related
- 3+ years of experience directly managing scientists and/or
machine learning engineers
- At least 5 years of experience in managing a team of applied
scientists and engineers
- At least 5 years of experience in building large-scale machine
learning and AI solutions at scale.
- Expertise in ML modeling and experience with the latest
- At least 2 years programming experience in Java, Python, Scala,
C++, or other mainstream language
- Proven track record of managing science teams, hiring and
developing science talent
- PhD in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics or a
closely related field.
- Published research work in academic conferences or industry
- Experience in building large-scale machine-learning models and
infra for online recommendation, ads ranking, personalization, or
- Technical leadership in machine learning.
- Effective and crisp verbal and written communication skills
with non-technical and technical audiences.
- Experience working with very large real-world data sets and
building scalable models from big data.
- Demonstrated successful industrial experience, drives
- Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical
- Exhibits excellent business judgment; balances business,
product, and technology very well.
- Relentlessly high standards.
- Dives deep think big and has convictions.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon
is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the
basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual
orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other
legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who
would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us