Engineering Manager- Energy Service Engineering
Company: Tesla Motors
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: June 7, 2021
The Energy Projects and Service Engineering team is the
organization responsible for the engineering and project execution
of solar and storage projects, as well as the overall health and
performance of all Energy Products operating in the field. The team
includes engineering expertise from project design to power systems
analyses, project managers and construction estimators, data
analysts and data infrastructure engineers, and product engineers
with a variety of electrical and mechanical engineering
backgrounds. This team sits at the center of business development,
Tesla technology, and the deployment of Energy Products. As a
member of our team, you will help to shape the success of our
Energy business globally. You must have a genuine passion for
enabling successful products and projects that will fundamentally
change the world's energy infrastructure and must want to work in a
fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
This role is a key leadership position within the Energy
business. As the leader of the Service Engineering team, you will
oversee the teams that are responsible for the health and uptime of
Tesla Energy's product lines - Supercharger, Industrial (Megapack
and Powerpack), Residential (Powerwall, Wall Connector, Gateway),
and Solar (Commercial, Residential, and Solar Roof). You will be
responsible for keeping the broader engineering organization
informed on failure and issue paretos for each product, driving
root cause analyses, and enabling Service/Field team efficiency.
You will also be responsible for overseeing development of data
analysis systems to accurately and timely compute fleet performance
metrics and generation of reports or performance alarms. Reporting
into this role are the managers responsible for each of their
product lines mentioned above.
- Lead development of consistent and comprehensive fleet
performance metrics to evaluate product's field performance against
- Lead development of auto-diagnostic tools with the goal to
identify majority of problems before our customers do
- Be the voice of customer internally to prioritize and drive
development of firmware, software and hardware, etc. to improve
- Ownership for tracking products' field failure rates, warranty
expenses and other service expenses against targets
- Business owner and champion for development of systems to track
customer complaints, service visits, field failures of the product
and failure root cause investigations
- Lead and mentor global team of product engineers and data
- Responsible for maintaining installed fleet through software
updates, configuration updates, etc.
- Establish processes for continual improvement of the
organization - this organization is expected to be best in class
and this leader will drive tools and processes to improve on key
metrics (reduction in failure rates, reduction in service cost over
time, root cause of all failures/issues)
- Maintain short, medium, and long term visions for EPC execution
strategy, including the balance of in-house versus 3rd party EPC
- Develop and mentor leaders within the Service Engineering team,
prioritize professional growth of team members, and develop the
future leaders of Tesla
- Minimum 10 years of experience with product development,
systems engineering, manufacturing and quality control, root cause
failure investigations or equivalent
- Outstanding leadership style fostering respect, trust,
confidence, and integrity.
- Thorough understanding of the life cycle of a product, from
initial design through manufacturing and operation in the
- Ability to articulate and translate technical concepts
(electrical, mechanical, both system and component level) from the
working level to the executive level to drive decisions through the
- Ability to drive collaboration across function and level within
the business, including effectively driving action from colleagues
and leaders from other teams.
- Works well under time pressure and makes decisions and
recommendations with high amounts of embedded uncertainty.
- Detail-oriented, humble and able to foster collaboration
- Experience with fast-paced organizations
- History of successfully managing technical teams, with a
preference of having experience of a 20+ person organization.
- Prior experience managing team of data engineers and data
scientists is a plus
- BS in Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, Material Sciences, or
proof of exceptional skills in related fields.
- As a full time Tesla employee you will receive full benefits
from day 1 for you and your dependents.
- Kaiser and UnitedHealthcare PPO and HSA plans (including
- 3 medical plan choices with $0 paycheck contribution
- Vision & dental plans (including orthodontic coverage)
- Company paid Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term
- 401(k), Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial
- Employee Assistance Program, Paid Time Off, and Paid
- Back-up childcare and employee discounts
Keywords: Tesla Motors, Palo Alto , Engineering Manager- Energy Service Engineering, Other , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!