Here at Kitty Hawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground
breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft.
Our Special Projects group is working on the future of electric
flight and you will be part of a small team that is focused on
We are seeking an R&D engineer for Kitty Hawk's
yet-to-be-announced project in environmentally friendly aviation.
Our team is focused on rapidly iterating novel concept aircraft
that radically change the way we think about flight efficiency.
You should enjoy working on a small team where you will own
substantial and critical parts of the final product. You're a team
player without an ego, and you're passionate about doing whatever
it takes to deliver value. We are working on something that has
never been done before, so you'll be energetic, adaptable, and a
fast learner who can make quick design judgments with limited
information. As a founding member of this group, you will also play
a crucial role in growing the team to meet the continuously
evolving challenges of this ambitious project.
- M.S. in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, computer
science, or related degree
- Experience working on novel aerodynamic vehicle development
through clean sheet design, build, and test
- Familiarity with aerodynamics, mechatronics, dynamics, and
controls, and expertise in at least one of these areas
- Good communication, problem solving, and organizational
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic, and
highly-interactive startup environment
- Proficient with rapid prototyping materials, tools, and
- Ability to be hands on with good physical intuition of
- Experience working in an R&D prototype aircraft development
- Familiarity with power electronics, motors controllers,
avionics, composite structures, and environmental/reliability
- Familiarity with small-volume manufacturing technologies and
methods, and experience in working with outside suppliers for the
- Experience with manual and CNC machining (mill, lathe,
- Composite fabrication and assembly experience
- Aviation and/or flight related hobbies or pursuits
- Proficient with 3D modeling using SolidWorks or an equivalent
Within 3 months you will:
- Assist in fabricating a prototype small-scale concept
- Take ownership of the design, fabrication, and testing of
prototype aircraft parts
- Develop internal design tools to inform future prototype
Within 6 months you will:
- Take ownership of certain aircraft subsystems
- Plan and execute flight test operations
- Help guide high level design discussions for our current and
As part of the interview process, you will be expected to
present a portfolio of relevant projects, describe specific design
contributions that you are most proud of, and effectively convey to
the team a relevant topic that is of interest to you.
We welcome you to apply even if you don't match every
requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100%
perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about
working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar
experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply.
Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal
is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds,
experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are
doing so, and will continue to do so until we're able to be back in
the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we're
making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working
environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive
benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life
insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan
with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson
subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events.
For those working onsite, Kitty Hawk also offers commuter
assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all
employees and applicants for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by
applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in
employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment,
including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination,
layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.