Senior Manager, Decarbonization
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever.
This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we
build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what's possible, never
simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old
problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that
are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a
love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern
California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo
Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as
a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Sr. Manager, Decarbonization will play a key role in
developing and driving the goals of the broader sustainability
roadmaps and strategy. You will ensure that the entire
Decarbonization team maximizes impact through sound yet quick
strategic planning and by driving action to ensure we are acting as
practitioners to rapidly solve problems. You'll own the strategic
roadmap and portfolio for the People, Process and Infrastructure
that comprises all decarbonization initiatives (both Product and
Energy). You will lead a team that partners across the entire
organization to ensure alignment, drive projects, and set
decarbonization timing/goals. You will develop and drive adoption
of planning tools, templates, dashboards, scorecards and the like
that enable aligned planning and cascading objectives. You'll put
in processes and programs to enable Rivian to actively monitor and
measure execution, adapting and developing contingency plans.
You'll develop holistic data driven KPIs and will also develop and
manage communication tools to share information and collaborate.
Finally, you'll jump in and "get your hands dirty" to conduct
analysis studies and dig into project details when needed. Ultimate
success is creating a system that can respond to dynamic and urgent
needs while tracking to a long-term goal, all while being a
"manager of choice" with exemplary leadership values respected
throughout the organization.
- Develop or amend decarbonization strategies, set direction, and
prioritize based on market requirements, reporting needs, upcoming
compliance initiatives, and our business lifecycle
- Consult, leverage, and collaborate with technical experts to
ensure innovation initiatives and forward-thinking technology is
embedded into our strategic plans
- Utilize knowledge of carbon intensity and unit economics to
drive prioritization and decision making
- Enable a culture of collaborative planning, contingency
planning, and execution
- Conduct robust studies and analysis as required
- Manage direct and in-direct team member performance.
- Manage communications across a complex organization: messaging
to broad stakeholder audiences, leadership and core project
- Author project charters and build business cases.
- Monitor and lead all aspects of project schedules and
- Manage project processes with service organizations (CapEx,
Finance, HR, IT)
- Be a thought leader for Rivian's sustainability initiatives.
Ask Why. Be Curious.
- A passion for sustainability the environment
- 8+ years of experience working as a sustainability practitioner
with progressive experience and demonstrated proficiency in
sustainability leadership/program management in a global
- 5+ years of experience leading and managing direct reports in
an ambiguous, dynamic, or high growth environment
- Strong knowledge of decarbonization trends and topics (product
level, energy efficiency, renewable energy generation, etc.)
- A keen understanding of strategic sustainability objectives
trending in the marketplace
- Passion for and deep skills in creating communication tools,
templates, presentations, newsletters, memos, and the like.
- Experience with strategic planning frameworks, processes,
functional planning, and the like in an org with multiple
- Implementation experience in a growth-oriented company
- Breadth of exposure and understanding of multiple company
functions and how they connect (ex. Engineering, manufacturing,
retail, service, supply chain)
- Ability to view sustainability through a multifaceted lens of
customer service, revenue generation, and brand awareness
- Collaborative and influence others including peers, direct
reports, and those 'senior'
- Be a leader in resolving complex issues, risks and scope
- Undergraduate degree in Sustainability, Business, Finance,
Environmental Engineering or Science required
- MBA preferred
- Ability to travel up to 25% (post-pandemic)
- Role is located in Palo Alto, Los Angeles, Irvine, Chicago, or
- Majority of the work week will be in-office
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all
applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices
laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, national
origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender
expression, gender identity, genetic information or
characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic
partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or
any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is
accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability
or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with
Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the
search and application process, please email us at
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our
Candidate Privacy Notice.
Keywords: Rivian, Palo Alto , Senior Manager, Decarbonization, Other , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!