Senior Battery Cell Engineer - Electrolyte
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever.
This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we
build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what's possible, never
simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old
problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that
are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a
love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern
California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo
Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as
a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Formulate and evaluate electrolytes and additives for different
anodes and cathodes.
- Work with internal and external teams to develop innovative
electrolyte and additives to improve rate, cycle/calendar life and
- Develop advanced characterization techniques to evaluate
properties and performance of difference electrolytes
- Work with cross functional teams internally and externally to
bring new electrolyte formulations to cell production.
- Investigate relationship of electrolyte properties, SEI
formation with electrode/cell performance and safety.
- Define development roadmap for electrolyte and battery cell
- Be an expert leader in the technical discussion and lead the
collaboration with external research laboratory.
- Train other engineers and technicians
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- PhD in chemistry, chemical engineering, or materials science
with more than 4 years working on lithium-ion batteries in a
combination of academia and industry
- Demonstrated experience in electrolyte formulation and
- Strong understanding about electrolyte development for
different anode/cathode chemistry and for different applications
such as high voltage, high temperature, rate, low temperature
- Strong understanding about interaction of electrolyte with
electrode interface/interphase as well as in bulk electrolyte.
- Depth of knowledge of electrochemical techniques such as LSV,
CV, EIS, HPPC
- Knowledge and hands on experience material characterization
such as Karl Fisher, ionic conductivity measurement, FTIR, NMR,
GC-MS, ICP, SEM/EDX, XPS
- Passionate about research/work in lithium ion batteries,
especially in EV. Willing making extra effort to get the job
- Experience with building coin and pouch cells.
- Experience working in a glovebox and/or dry room environment,
handling air-sensitive materials.
- Critical problem-solving skills: ability to ask the right
people, the right questions at the right time in the right way
- Detail oriented: ability to become a subject matter expert to
make informed decisions
- Curiosity: demonstrate level of interest that enables
- Execution: demonstrate that follow through is given as much
attention as problem solving
- Structured: able to organize chaos thru methodical framework
and documentation to achieve goals harmoniously
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all
applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices
laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, national
origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender
expression, gender identity, genetic information or
characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic
partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or
any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is
accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability
or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with
Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the
search and application process, please email us at
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our
Candidate Privacy Notice.
Keywords: Rivian, Palo Alto , Senior Battery Cell Engineer - Electrolyte, Other , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!