CAE Engineer - Battery Module
Company: Tesla Motors
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: June 8, 2021
CAE/CFD Engineers on the Battery Module Team are at the leading
edge of next generation Tesla products. In this role, you will be
responsible for analyzing and optimizing the performance of
revolutionary vehicle and energy storage battery designs. The
Battery Module team lies in the confluence between cell engineering
and battery pack engineering, helping to push cell performance
limits to make incredible products. You will be an innovative and
skilled problem solver - using all analytical tools available to
you. Where these tools are insufficient or do not exist, you will
develop novel methodologies to enable fast and accurate solutions.
You will be brilliant both technically as an individual, and as an
active member in a diverse and challenging cross-functional team
environment. The role requires strong fundamentals, a passion to
push the boundaries of technology and the tenacity to make designs
successful. Our design requirements push the limits of physical
possibility, which requires you to be extremely detail oriented in
supporting the design engineers making tradeoffs. Tesla moves
quickly, so being self-motivated and disciplined is critical. You
must be passionate, but direction changes quickly, so you must also
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Providing CAE and CFD support through build of state of art FE
and CFD models to the finest details.
- Supporting design progression and evolution with
multi-disciplinary engineering teams based on your analyses.
- Drive manufacturing centric battery module designs with CAE and
CFD, while balancing all applicable requirements with state of the
art design and innovative manufacturing methodologies.
- Perform advanced CAE and CFD simulations to evaluate and
enhance sub-systems and full product simulations of specific design
attributes and manufacturing processes.
- Develop and apply advanced methodologies with smart analysis
techniques to drive innovation into Tesla products.
- High skills level in multidisciplinary domains of single and
multi-phase CFD, Thermal, Coupled electrical and Thermal CAE.
- Develop and support subsystem level & full vehicle correlations
in line with standard protocols and best practices.
- Perform post-test reviews and corroborate the CAE and CFD
predictions to test results.
- Develop highly predictive models of materials and processes to
enable good correlations with physical tests.
- Conduct optimization studies by utilizing optimization tools,
including DOE/ DFSS techniques on components, assemblies, or
vehicle designs to meet performance requirements with the
constraints of mass and cost.
- Perform analyses for feasibility of manufacturing, assembly and
- Provide input in the creation of component specification,
component DFMEA, and other technical design documents where
analysis plays a pivotal role.
- Produce concise management summaries and report-outs that meet
the needs of management system functions. Collaboration with other
modeling and design teams.
- Deep knowledge of Finite Element Analysis, Finite Volume
Method, Smooth Particles
- Hydrodynamics, CFD, Applied Solid Mechanics, Material science
- Numerical Methods within a product development environment in a
- Minimum 5+ years of demonstrated successful experience with at
least two relevant
- product lines.
- Excellent applied experience in ANSYS-FLUENT, STAR CCM+,
- Applied experience in ANSA or HYPERWORKS, preferred.
- Additional experience in LS-DYNA, NASTRAN, TOSCA, MODEFRONTIER
- ABAQUS beneficial.
- Demonstrated experience in simulating steady state and
transient single and multi-
- phase fluid flows on sub-systems and full vehicle models.
- Preferred experience in stand-alone or coupled analysis of
electronic components for
- thermal, fluid mechanics, electro-magnetism, and
- Preferred experience in the analysis of coupled
thermal-electrical problems, fluid flow
- through vehicle bodies, and electronics cooling.
- Preferred experience in HV battery design and optimization
- Preferred knowledge of optimization tools and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on pioneering and
- Demonstrated ability to deliver analysis on difficult projects
with tight timing constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to deconstruct complex test scenarios with
good logic and
- analytics and root-causing correlation problems.
- Demonstrated ability in iterative and collaborative
automotive-similar engineering environments.
Keywords: Tesla Motors, Palo Alto , CAE Engineer - Battery Module, Other , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!