Assoc Dir, Medical Communication
Company: Jazz Pharmaceuticals
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: July 17, 2021
Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc (NASDAQ: JAZZ) is a global
biopharmaceutical company whose purpose is to innovate to transform
the lives of patients and their families. We are dedicated to
developing life-changing medicines for people with serious diseases
- often with limited or no therapeutic options. We have a diverse
portfolio of marketed medicines and novel product candidates, from
early- to late-stage development, in neuroscience and oncology. We
actively explore new options for patients including novel
compounds, small molecules and biologics, and through cannabinoid
science and innovative delivery technologies. Jazz is headquartered
in Dublin, Ireland and has employees around the globe, serving
patients in nearly 75 countries. For more information, please visit
www.jazzpharmaceuticals.com and follow @JazzPharma on Twitter.
The Associate Director, Medical Communications is responsible
for the development of medical publications as well as the
management of publication agencies/vendors and the associated
budgets, and oversight of internal medical writer led projects.
This role collaborates with the medical communication lead for the
therapeutic area and the therapeutic area medical director in the
development of comprehensive strategic publication plans as well as
scientific communication plans. The Associate Director, Medical
Communications is also responsible for leadership of the successful
and timely implementation of publication and scientific plans
within budget. The Associate Director, Medical Communications,
reports into the medical communication lead for the therapeutic
- Responsible for leading publication planning teams in assigned
therapeutic area(s) along with the development and implementation
of a comprehensive publication plan. Strategic publication planning
is conducted in collaboration with the medical communication lead
for the therapeutic area and the therapeutic area medical
- Responsible for the overseeing the development of abstracts,
posters, oral presentations, and manuscripts from Jazz sponsored
clinical trials and other Jazz sponsored research.
- Build effective partnerships with all internal stakeholders,
including medical affairs directors, other medical communication
leads, HEOR, biostatistics, clinical development, medical science
liaisons, medical information, and other members of the
- Establish strong working relationships with authors and other
- Manage day to day interactions with publication agencies and
participate in vendor selection activities.
- Assist with the coordination of internal writing
- Manage all financial and contractual aspects of assigned
projects, including external vendors.
- Coordinate publication reviews and integration of reviewer
- Ensure that all developed materials are reviewed and
appropriately signed off according to Jazz SOPs and maintain
archive of approved materials within the appropriate management
- Assist in the review of publications for medical accuracy, fair
balance, and ensuring adherence to Jazz policies and good
- Ensure all Jazz-sponsored publications are developed according
to Jazz publication policy and good publication practice, including
published guidelines (e.g., GPP3, ICMJE, CONSORT).
- Develop and maintain content (e.g., slide decks) for Medical
Science Liaison (MSL) and managed care MSL (MCMSL) teams for
- In collaboration with key stakeholders within medical affairs,
lead the medical communication strategy activities at key medical
congresses, including the medical and/or therapeutic area booth
panel development, other booth materials, meeting summaries to
internal audiences, and post-meeting slide reviews to internal
audiences; ensure all materials undergo appropriate medical affairs
review committee assessment.
- Support development of scientific communications plans and
oversee execution of tactics both internally and externally.
- Provide scientific/medical input into the development of
- Develop and expand scientific proficiency in assigned
- Prepare, analyze, interpret, and summarize data.
- Evaluate study data from tables and listings.
- The Associate Director, Medical Communication reports into the
medical communication lead for the therapeutic area.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Advanced scientific degree (Doctorate degree preferred: PhD,
PharmD, or MD).
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in pharmaceutical medical
communications / publications, medical writing, or other medical
affairs scientific functions, or at a medical communications agency
as a medical director and/or writer. Publications leader experience
within the pharmaceutical industry is preferred.
- Prior hematology/oncology experience preferred.
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- Must have extensive experience in strategic publication
planning and execution of publication plans.
- Strong Knowledge of current good publication practices and
guidelines and medical writing guidelines (e.g.,GPP3, ICMJE,
- Demonstrated experience interacting with and collaborating with
authors and other external experts; ability to effectively interact
with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in managing budgets across several projects.
- Experience managing external agencies preferred.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills and
written communication skills.
- Understand clinical trial research, the drug development
process, and GCP requirements, and have experience with reviewing
clinical trial data.
- Prior medical writing experience preferred.
- Proficiency with computer programs such as MS Word, Excel, and
PowerPoint, as well as databases such as PubMed.
- Travel will vary, plan on 10-20%.
Description of Physical Demands
- Occasional mobility within and external to an office
- Routinely sitting for extended periods of time.
- Constantly operating a computer, printer, telephone and other
similar office machinery.
Description of Work Environment
- Work indoors in normal office environment with little exposure
to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations and temperature
- Frequent computer use at workstation.
- May move from one work location to another occasionally.
- Responsibilities may periodically require a work schedule that
may include working outside of “normal” work hours, including
evenings and weekends, in order to meet business demands.
Occasional public contact requiring appropriate business
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative
action employer and all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected
veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Palo Alto , Assoc Dir, Medical Communication, Other , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!