Senior Licensing Negotiator
Company: Electric Power Research Institute
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: October 9, 2021
Senior Licensing Negotiator
California Home Office - 2, Charlotte, NC, Dallas, TX, Knoxville,
TN, New York Home Office - 2, North Carolina Home Office, Palo
Alto, CA, Virginia Home Office - 1, Washington, D.C., Washington DC
Job Summary and Description:
Additional Job Information:
Supports privacy, immigration and foreign trade
compliance. Negotiates license and data agreements,
other contracts and amendments to existing contracts which
involve the negotiation of the type of contract, contractual terms
and conditions, and intellectual property parameters. The
licenses, data agreements, contracts and amendments
are complex agreements involving interaction with foreign and
domestic businesses including utilities, vendors and
research/consulting firms for research and development within the
global electricity industry and related fields. Often collaborates
with Sourcing, Order Management, Member & Technical Services (sales
and after sales support) and the R&D staff on strategies to
deal with complex legal requirements and management of risk.
Supports the Legal department’s counsels by mentoring
and providing guidance to junior team members.
- Evaluate and analyze project needs in close collaboration with
technical staff and determine appropriate documentation avenues and
necessary contractual requirements.
- Upon an analysis of risk and the respective negotiation
positions, draft specific contractual language including standard
provisions plus special provisions for the protection of
intellectual property, parameters for sharing confidential
information, liability allocation, warranties, export control,
governing law, dispute resolution, privacy and deliverable
- Review and negotiate
inbound/outbound/cross-licenses, and other types of
agreements and commercialization approaches, engaging in proactive
teamwork with technical staff, to ensure consistency with EPRI’s
risk appetite, mission, policies, procedures, and practices.
- Handles all non-disclosure agreements and data agreements.
- If assigned to the Nuclear Sector, act as first point of
contact for memoranda of understanding, affidavits and other
matters pertaining to NEI, INPO, NRC, DOE and NEIL.
- If assigned to any other Sector, act as a first point of
contact for sponsorship agreements for EPRI Events and Conferences
and other special contracting issues with EPRI’s other
participating and contributing sponsors.
- Drive the internal review and approval of special provisions by
counsels in Legal team and by decision makers in other teams
(R&D, Finance, etc.).
- Drive identification of unrelated business activities, review
IP justification waivers and barter transaction structuring, review
- Drive the negotiation of complex licensing arrangements in
teamwork with technical staff, Sourcing, Order Management and/or,
if appropriate, counsel.
- Collaborate with sales and technical staff on communicating
with customers regarding context and reason for data agreement
- Identify and inform management of policy issues arising during
contract negotiations and recommend constructive resolution.
- Provide advice on export control and anti-bribery for
international purchase requisitions as escalated by international
- Provide advice and assistance as required on intellectual
property, immigration, privacy and access matters to other EPRI
staff and groups who are supporting the customer.
- Assist in the review and development of updated or enhanced
contracting policies and procedures, including development of
templates and new special agreements.
- Special projects as assigned, including European and other
international bids, international non-disclosure agreements in
emerging markets, international infrastructure support, property,
bankruptcy, corporate, and newly emerging domestic or international
compliance and legal issues.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or legal field or equivalent
experience required. Paralegal or attorney qualification a
- 7+ years of related experience. Experience with
public utility preferred. Must have experience in
working independently and cooperatively with technical staff and
with colleagues on-site as well as in remote locations.
- Must have experience in negotiations, risk
assessments, multi-tasking, managing deadlines, and
successfully balancing competing workloads.
Skills and Attributes:
EPRI participates in E-Verify, an online system operated jointly by
the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security
Administration (SSA). EPRI uses the system to check the work status
of new hires by comparing information from the employee's I-9 form
against SSA and Department of Homeland Security databases.
Note: To ensure compliance with U.S. export controls, please
indicate your U.S. citizenship or (for foreign citizens) your U.S.
visa/immigration status in your resume or cover letter.
EPRI is an equal opportunity employer. EEO/AA/M/F/VETS/Disabled
Together . . . Shaping the Future of Energy.
- Advanced understanding of the concept of risk
- Advanced understanding of the dynamics of negotiations
(international experience preferred)
- Advanced understanding of standard commercial terms and
conditions and intellectual property concepts
- Previous experience with SAP or similar Enterprise Resource
Planning systems, and Online Contracting is a
- Experience in negotiating practical contracts
including the formulation of contractual provisions, terms and
- Self-starter capable of working independently, managing
deadlines and competing workloads, making informed decisions and
seeking advice/decisions from others when needed.
- Diplomatic, collaborative relationship builder
- Ability to mentor and coach less experienced staff
- Excellent listening and oral and written communications
- Superior organizational, problem solving, interpersonal and
- Advanced Microsoft Word, Outlook, Power Point
skills and basic Excel skills
- Experience in international business, export control, Foreign
Corrupt Practices Act, immigration, privacy/data protection, and
fluency in multiple languages is a plus
Keywords: Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto , Senior Licensing Negotiator, Other , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!