Life Sciences Research Assistant - Vascular Disease Research
Company: Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research
Location: Palo Alto
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is looking for
a Research Assistant to join the Nicolls Laboratory and support
investigations that study pathophysiology causes and develop
treatments for two vascular diseases: Pulmonary Arterial
Hypertension and Lymphedema.ABOUT THIS ROLEThe Research Assistant
will participate in general wet lab activities, animal husbandry,
and high throughput sequencing of genes and proteins under the
supervision of Stanford appointed Principal Investigator - Mark
Nicolls, M.D., Ph.D., and Research Director. The successful
candidate will be a highly motivated individual with experience in
molecular biology and cellular biology. Ideally, the Research
Assistant will have experience with animal studies.This is a
full-time on-site position located in Palo Alto, CA. PAVIR offers
generous benefits, including comprehensive health insurance,
vision, dental, 14 paid holidays, paid vacation time, sick pay, a
401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a
wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development
training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and
long-term disability insurance.JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A RESEARCH
- Assist with design and perform experiments investigating the
mechanisms of LTB4 and its effect in pulmonary arterial
hypertension and lymphedema under the direction of the PI and
- Document findings of experiments and troubleshoot as
- Assist with data analyses and communicate results to other lab
- Perform rat and mouse experiments, such as treatments and
- Maintain rat and mouse colonies including breeding, weaning,
and PCR genotyping.
- Perform animal husbandry related duties as required.
- Perform other wet lab duties as required.QUALIFICATIONS FOR A
- Bachelor's degree (or Senior-year Bachelor students with a
graduation date scheduled for 2022) or equivalent experience.
- Applicable bench lab experience.
- 2 years of related work experience, including rodent handling
- Valid Driver's License required.
- Previous laboratory experience with animal experimentation
- Previous experience with cell culture, molecular biology, cell
biology, and biochemical techniques.
- Good communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to work independently and proactively, with good
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with
other lab personnel.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures.
- General computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and
Powerpoint.ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Exposure to web lab
environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, toxic/caustic
chemical or reagents. Occasional travel may be required to Stanford
Research Park.ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH
(PAVIR)PAVIR engages in the administration of funds and providing
support for the conduct of research at the Veterans Affairs Palo
Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) to find new and improved ways to
combat human disease and help people with disabilities. At PAVIR we
work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. Our
researchers have an active appointment with the VA Palo Alto Health
Care System and maintain academic appointments with Stanford
University. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in
making a difference in the lives of others through innovative
health research.PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the
Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a
condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have
an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background
check before they can commence work. PAVIR is pleased to be an
Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and
Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome
and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color,
religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or
an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact
email@example.com - Human Resources department.Location: 94304
Keywords: Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research, Palo Alto , Life Sciences Research Assistant - Vascular Disease Research, Other , Palo Alto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!