Primary Objective of Position
The Production Artist is responsible for the production of on-time,
error-free, and properly constructed mechanicals. Key requirements
include a strong knowledge of current design software, the ability
to communicate and work effectively with business partners, expert
level technical knowledge of all facets of mechanical production,
and extreme attention to detail.
THIS IS NOT A DESIGN POSITION.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build, revise and prepare final mechanicals for release to
pre-press, print and online vendors/teams.
- Construct clean digital files for online use.
- Work closely with design and editorial staff to ensure creative
specifications are met. An eye for design and copy standards is
required to execute subsequent versions with little supervision
- Work closely with Print Production and Program Managers to ensure
project goals, details, and deadlines are met.
- Review and approve printer proofs for accuracy.
- Adhere to brand graphic standards and server structure in all
files, utilizing processes and policies as outlined in the studio
manual, or as specified by the Supervisor. Work with Supervisor to
evaluate and revise the studio manual, and assist in monitoring and
enforcing studio standards.
- Prepare comps and mockups, often at full-size, for use in
- Manage the organization of large image/asset libraries.
- Assist in the archival and cataloging of digital assets.
- Prioritize projects and deadlines, as needed.
- Investigate, test, and recommend alternative production methods,
both technical and process-oriented, as needed, to supervisor.
Evaluations may involve ROI exercises and presentations to various
- Assist Head of Creative Production in partnering with IT to
ensure technical support issues are met.
- Assist in the technical development of Creative Production
- Continually manage, and work to improve the quality of department
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Superior decision making, troubleshooting, negotiating,
influencing and interpersonal skills
- Conflict Management: approaches conflicts as opportunities;
understands others quickly; can find common ground without
comprising total position.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Ability to work and function in ambiguity.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Expert Mac OSX-based knowledge of Adobe CC.
- Expert knowledge of Mac OSX fonts, both PostScript and OpenType;
as well as Extensis Suitcase Fusion, or equivalent, e.g.
FontReserve or Font Agent Pro.
- Knowledge of color and b/w printers, specifically large-format
and high-volume laser (using Fiery or Splash RIP).
- Understanding of, and ability to build and assign ICC profiles to
- Knowledge of flatbed scanners and other common Mac
- Expert knowledge of printing processes and building mechanical
art, including knowledge of color separations and common prepress
- Self-motivated team player; must be able to work efficiently with
Minimum educational level/Experience:
- BA/BS degree
- At least 3-4 years production experience in an agency
environment. We are an equal employment opportunity employer and
will consider all qualified candidates without regard to disability
or protected veteran status.